Category Archives: Future Sound Of London
01 Unity (Future Sound Of London 7″ Edit)
02 Unity (Future Sound Of London 12″ Remix)
03 Unity (Bassheads In The Area)
04 Unity (Future Sound Of London Tuff City)
05 Unity (Bassheads Dub Arena)
INFO > Initially issued in 1991 on the Cardiac label, “Unity” was produced by Robert Manley and Paul Witts. Manley would go on to manage Union City Recordings and subsequently reissue “Unity” in 1992 with new mixes from FSOL and Bassheads.
HELP > Does anyone have the original CD issue on Cardiac Records?
The Future Sound Of London
“Papua New Guinea”
1992 Jumpin’ & Pumpin’ (UK)
CDS TOT 17
01. Papua New Guinea (7″ Original)
02. Papua New Guinea (Andrew Weatherall Mix)
03. Papua New Guinea (Dub Mix)
04. Papua New Guinea (Journey To Pyramid)
05. Papua New Guinea (Graham Massey Mix)
06. Papua New Guinea (Dumb Child Of Q Mix)
07. Papua New Guinea (12″ Original)
08. Papua New Guinea (Hamish McDonald Mix)
INFO > Back in 1992, rave and hardcore had tempos pumped up to breakneck pace. Brian Dougans and Garry Cobain dialed it down and created an ambient dub masterpiece in the form of “Papua New Guinea.” Samples from Dead Can Dance’s “Dawn Of The Iconoclast” help to achieve the track’s otherwordly atmosphere. On the mix: Andy Weatherall and 808 State’s Graham Massey.
David Sylvian and Robert Fripp
1993 Virgin Records Ltd (UK)
01. Darshan (Translucent Remix By The Grid)
02. Darshana (Re-constructed by The Future Sound Of London)
03. Darshan (The Road To Graceland)
04. Darshan (The Road To Graceland – Edit)*
*Bonus track, from US promo CD DPRO-14125
INFO > Prog rock meets prog house on this single from Sylvian and Fripp’s 1993 studio collaboration, “The First Day.” Virgin enlisted The Grid and FSOL to rework the album’s epic 17-minute jam, “Darshan.” Norris and Ball minimize Fripp’s searing guitar, play up the electronics, and smooth out the original track’s shuffling beat; while Dougans and Cobain earned writing credits for their atmospheric dub excursion.