New Order vs. Pet Shop Boys
At some point, someone’s probably asked, “Who’s your favorite band?” For some, the response might be immediate; but for any serious music aficionado, I suspect the decision might require some deliberation.
I’ve narrowed mine down to two highly respected musical acts: New Order and Pet Shop Boys. For a long time, the Mancunian legends claimed the top spot; but after New Order fell apart, the Boys gained traction. I tend to waver between them based on mood and what each act is currently doing.
It’s not apples to apples comparing the two, but here are a few assets that each group respectively has in its favor:
- Prior history as Joy Division
- Association with Factory Records
- They built The Hacienda
- “Blue Monday”
- Production work for other artists
- Entertaining side projects (Electronic, Revenge, The Other Two, Monaco, Bad Lieutenant)
- Their ‘don’t give a shit’ attitude
- Designer: Peter Saville
Pet Shop Boys
- Remarkably consistent quality of song writing and releases
- B-sides better than most bands’ A-sides
- Work with other artists: collaborations, songwriting, production, and remixes
- Innovative concert performances
- Creative endeavors in film, theatre, and dance
- Sharp image and style
- Highly attentive to fans (‘Petheads’)
- Designer: Mark Farrow
So, who do like better? Please cast your vote.
And need I ask… who’s your favorite musical artist?